Saturday, April 7, 2007

Defending Globalization

Today I met a lady who takes up multiple jobs. She works as a production line worker on weekdays and a masseur on weekend. Candidly yet poignantly, she told me that life is going to be more and more difficult in the next 5 years as Globalization extends its tentacles further.Ending off our conversation, she expressed hope that her children who are in ITE can survive in today's competitive world. As someone who is supposedly educated and wealthier, I am ashamed to say that I sub-consciously chose to see only the benefits of Globalization.With a rich consumers' mindset, I am only concerned whether goods and services will get cheaper with outsourcing taking place to India, China, Indonesia, Vietnam, Mexico etc . I have forgotten that the poor will be hit the hardest by globaliztion. This is so as these low skilled workers jobs are slowly lost when companies shift their production elsewhere.This leaves people like the lady whom I met jobless. As much as I know the pros and cons about Globalization as an Economics teacher, today's conversation reminded me that all is true and happening around us. They are not just stories from textbooks.....While as much as I see the benefits of globalization, I do hope that more are done to alleviate the plight of the poor.
I accidentally yet coincidentally, I stumbled upon this video.Hope you guys learn something about Globalization!

No comments: